Treadmills (often referred to as running machines) are pieces of cardio equipment used for running, jogging or walking, In the UK we have unpredictable weather patterns throughout the year, also as winter approaches we have fewer hours of daylight. Because of this, walking, jogging and running outside can prove to be quite difficult. With a treadmill you can walk, jog or run in the safety and comfort of your own home, rain or shine.
Fitness Benefits of Using Treadmills
- Less Impact on Joints – Running on a treadmill reduces the impact on your joints compared to running on pavements or road surfaces. To further reduce the impact you can purchase a treadmill with an orthopaedic belt.
- Reduces Stress – Using a treadmill helps reduce stress. During cardio vascular exercise endorphins are released into the bloodstream from the pituitary gland. The release of endorphins creates a natural high and a feeling of well-being, which helps relieve stress.
- Increases Energy Levels – Exercise of any kind will increase your energy levels, and running on a treadmill is one of the best forms of exercise to help increase your overall energy.
- Increases Lung Capacity – Long distance running on a treadmill will help improve your lung capacity. Improving your lung capacity will make you stronger and healthier.
- Increase Bone Density – The impact of running on a treadmill overloads the selected structure and causes the body to increase the density of weight bearing bones in an effort to accommodate the stress of the activity.
- Increased Calorie Burn – Because running on a treadmill is a weight bearing exercise it burns more calories in comparison to exercising with exercise bikes or rowing machines
Running machines were once thought to be too expensive or too big to have in the home, fortunately due to the development of the modern treadmill you neither need to be rich or have a gym to own a running machine, there are a number of different treadmills in todays market, the features available on a running machine will vary depending on the cost and manufacturer.
Features of the modern day treadmill
- Treadmill Motor – The electric motor is the heart of a treadmill, motor power/output is measured in horsepower (HP) the higher the HP the stronger and more efficient the treadmill will be. Look for at least 1.75HP motor, but if you plan to run long distances then look for at least a 2.0HP motor.
- Is the treadmill foldable?
If you’re looking to save space. Commercial treadmills tend to be solid welded frames that are designed to be postitioned and rarely moved. Home treadmills quite often have a fold-away feature to make them more appealing when space may be a problem. Check that the treadmill folds easily and what space is required by the machine when it is folded.
- Treadmill Belt – The belt should be long enough and wide enough to accommodate your running style, if you plan to do a lot of running then look for a belt with a width of 50cm (20″) and a length of 140cm (55″).
- Treadmill Speed – The maximum speed of a treadmill will vary between models. Mid range and commercial treadmills have maximum speeds of 20kph (12mph).
- Treadmill Incline (Elevation) – If you plan to do a lot of uphill walking or running then look for a treadmill with an incline of 10%. Thankfully most mid range treadmills incline to 10% (some incline to 12%).
- Treadmill Console & Programmes – Nowadays most treadmills come with built in computer displays that enable you to select customised workouts, speed, incline and other options. If you get bored easily whilst exercising it might be worth investing in a treadmill that has a range of different programmes as this will help you stay motivated.
- Maximum User Weights – Always check the maximum user weight of a treadmill before you purchase. Budget treadmills usually have maximum user weights of around 100kg / 16 stone whilst mid range treadmills have maximum user weights of around 130kg / 20 stone.
- Treadmill Warranty – Always check the treadmill warranty before purchasing. Most treadmills come with parts and labour warranty, which means you won’t have to repair the treadmill yourself if something goes wrong. nscbank . As a general rule, mid range and commercial treadmills will have better warranties in comparison to cheap budget treadmills.
Exercise Supplies offers treadmills from all the major running machine manufacturers at some of the best prices, including comparison`s and reviews on most running machines helping you to decide which is the best treadmill for you and your family.